Skip to main content

Hi All,
I'm new to these forums, but I hope someone can help me out. I recently purchased an IdentiLynx camera and am going to run a few cross country meets for the first time. I had it running during the track season, but I was not able to get it to work properly. I have seen video's of the screen jumping to the runner after the timer clicks on each finisher. I have to scroll through the video to find my finishers, which makes it not as usefull. Any help would be much appreciated.

I am running it on FinishLynx version 3.0 on a windows 7 machine that is networked to two other computers.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

haha yeah. I'm using 8.22. Thanks for the help though. Works perfectly. My last problem with updating to 8.22 and a new windows 7 laptop is that my start sensor is no longer starting a race. The radiolynx start sensor will work on my previous set up with xp. I've looked through settings, tried open, closed, none, re-installed. I'm stumped! works with an older version on Finishlynx though. Any thoughts?
one thing that I've seen happen, when upgrading the people forget to install all of their options.
Start up your copy of Finish Lynx go to the HELP heading in the banner, scroll to ABOUT and see all of the options that are installed for the software. If the option is installed,then check the set up in the software, one person that I helped had not turned the start option of the radio lynx on. If you are using one of the newer cameras the radio lynx needs to be installed on the camera back not the C box.
Right on several things:

1. make sure radiolynx is installed in the software under help about

2. determine if you are camera back or c-box

3. if c-box we sometimes see the pins in the jack get depressed (a weakness in design)

4. under the camera settings (circle i) go to Inputs tab ... Lynx documents recommend that this be set to none if you are using radiolynx we find that this should be set to closed or we often get an error -- others have a comment on that? We also then set it to always on under start sensor (so it logs all starts should you suddenly switch to a wired setup). You can do on when armed, which puts a ready light on the sensor for the starter, but we find that may result in a missed start when we are not armed.

5. under the RadioLynx Tab select either camera back or connection box, then usually ID 000, start sensor and check send period signal.

Do all of this without an open event by the way! Then close and reopen Lynx. On the face of the RadioLynx transmitter after it is on make sure that it is set to the corresponding channel - 000 usually. If not, change it.

We are a seller of FinishLynx and when we provide a product to a purchaser we include basic setup and training as part of what we do. Granted their quick start guides are decent, but nothing like getting walked through things. Lynx also has great support for their product and this forum is wonderful too. Knowing how to work this stuff well makes it more efficient than a hand timed meet ... but kind of knowing how to use it can make people wonder why we don't have eight retired guys with stopwatches back again :-) So practice, practice and get the settings perfect. Then take screen shots! Every once in a while the camera settings file can get corrupted and the fix is to wipe it out and redo it! The settings are also custom to each camera you plug in, so if you use different cameras in different places, you need to duplicate settings.
Thanks for the quick replies and good ideas. Unfortunately I have tried all of these, except I have noticed that the c-box pins are depressed. They work with the other system though. I'll fix the pins just to check. We definately have had success with radiolynx set to closed as well. I've used this c-box for 8 years, about 20 meets a year. It does work with the older model, but I'm wondering if I should replace. I'll let you guys know what happens. If you think of anything else, let me know. Thanks again.
Slide the box open (small screw on either end and carefully push the pins up. I personally leave my radiolynx plugged in and carefully put away so that the wires are not stressed. You can also sometimes carefully pull them up with small needlenose, being careful not to bend or break. I have fixed three of them over time around here and none of them have been replaced yet. You can also see if a sensor or wire is bad. If you want to email me I can walk you through testing that.
Here's an update guys....

After looking at the pins they are ok, better than what I had remembered. I tested my whole set up with FinishLynx 7.1 on my PC running XP. Radiolynx, race clock, and auto windgauge all work fine. When moved back to Windows 7 machine with version 8.22 I re-installed and used screen shots to confirm my settings. Everything worked except for RadioLynx! I have two microgate wireless transmitters that both give a start signal, but a start is not registering.

I looked into the rl.pgn file in windows and it has different permission settings on windows 7 than on the xp counterpart. could this be an issue? Good news is everything works on my PC running XP and Finishlynx 7.1, but I would like to get 8.22 working on my windows 7 computer. Thanks for all the advice thus far, any other thoughts? thanks.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.