Skip to main content

Want to leave my old DOS timing software, and try the Fiddleware (by Skunkware) for ski timing, under Windows.

Have a Alge S4, Gaz4 scoreboard, Y cable and a PC.
The actual Y cable is a DB9 COM1: serial port (PC) to:
-2 bananas for Gaz4 scoreboard;
-5 pin DIN to "Printer port" (S4).

Questions:

1- Should I use two separates cables for serials ports (PC), driving S4 and Gaz4?
2- Is it the same pin configuration?
3- Using RS-232 or Printer port of the S4?
4- Which version of Windows must be installed?
5- Which "Program #" must be selected in the S4?
and baud rate set to 2400 or 4800?
6- Is there a user manual or a guide available for this software?
7- What else should I know working this all?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You need:

2 seperate serial ports; one for S4 in, one for display out.

You connect the DB9 of your split display cable to the usb to serial adapter (that you are going to buy) The "printer" end is not used. Tape it up.

Use the RS-232 port. A "blue" cable with the 5 pin smiley DIN on one end and the DB9 female on the other.

This software is 16 bit. It will work with Windows 95. Do yourself a favor and use Windows 2000 or XP pro. DO NOT USE Windows 98!!!!

Program 3, HP mode on the S4

Not really. The "help" file is some what helpful. This software was designed for NASTAR. It really only wants to deal with bibs 1-999. Use the companion excel file if you want to do any prereg type data handling.

Remember that the ONLY way to get "finish" impulses on the S4 is through the DIN plugs for photocell or the DB25 connector
4800 baud - Yes.

Win95 - Any of the 16-bit Windows (95, 98, ME) are a disaster. They shouldn't be used for ANYBODY's timing applications if you want your timing software to work reliably. Use one of the 32-bit flavors of Windows - NT, Win2K, or XP.

If you must use Win9x, I would recommend using Dtris by Dick Beare and running it under a DOS prompt. Dtris is a very solid DOS app, much more stable than any software (published by anybody) is going to be under Win9x.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.