Skip to main content

During the last weekend race we had a couple of interesting events that prompted us to think more about the blocking period of either start or finish inputs.
We used TAG HL2-35 photo cell that has a settable impulse duration (up to 2.4 seconds). The cell's signal is simply kept open for this period of time not allowing new inputs. Next, we used CP540 which also has a settable input blocking time. Finally, there is Split Second which also allows you to set the same thing. What do you think is the best way to set these periods? Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Set the photocell the lowest, clock next then the software. I usually do .2 for the cells, .5 for the clock and a little more for the software (.75). Gone are the days of really close finishes with the no hike rules and kids being coached to pull out if they see anything. All of these delays are there to protect from double impulses from the same person (ie. hand and leg in SL or rooster tail of snow).
This is really a matter of personal preference, but I agree with John about setting the finish eye "dead time" as low as possible. For the Alge PR1a, I leave it at the factory minimum setting of 0.02s. I then set my software to 0.2s.

The reality is that I get very few false finishes -- maybe one in 9 races. So there's not much to block over 0.02s. Last season I had the software set to a higher time, and it missed a close finish in a high school race. Of course, it was on the tape, but the software blocked it, so I had to do a manual edit. I've decided that if something happens out there, I want to see it on my computer screen. We run everything from scored-USSA with US Ski Team members, to HS kids, to U8s. So we see it all -- hikers, passes at the finish, you name it, it happens, and I want to see it on my screen.

That's probably more info than you wanted, but I hope that it helps.

-- Mark

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.