Skip to main content

Hello Everyone

I have recently got my hands on an old set of Alge Photocells. I think they are the RLS1n-RX.

First problem, we don't have a timing device... However with Arduino we have made a timing device. Yes, I do realize that this will not be accepted for international competition, but we want to use it for training and local racing where we don't have enough time keepers.

So we have two sets of photocells (both tx and rx). Two tripods, two LA4s and two round, heavy base plates. The photocells are currently connected to large angle iron sections. I'll take some photos tomorrow when I'm at the track and upload them.

How do I set these up for track cycling, specifically for the pursuit and sprint?

Is it necessary to use the LA4? What I have read tells me that this is needed for external power supply. Can I connect the photocells directly to the timing device?

Our track is a 250m with 47 degree bankings and the 200m is right in the middle of the banking.

Thanks in advance

Sheldon
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Sheldon,

I would recommend not using photocells except in training, because it is very difficult to get a reliable beam without placing a dangerous obstacle on the safety band of the track.

A common practice is to use tape switches on your lines, these will measure direct contact are unobtrusive and are very reliable if cared for.

The 121-BP from tapeswich.com works very well on both wood and concrete:

http://www.tapeswitch.com/ribb...tch_121_141_151.html

I'm interested in your arduino timer project... any more info available online at all?
Hi NDF

I have been looking for tape switches, but I have not yet found them here in South Africa.

The nearest that I have come is a Force Sensing Resistor (FSR) for the Arduino. This has been giving me very good results, the only problem is that the longest I can get is 900mm, fine for the better riders, but some of the newer riders miss the strip every now and then.

I'll have a look at the link you've given me. Thanks!

As for the Arduino, I haven't put anything online - yet. I'm still busy working everything out. Still have a few things to work out on the code. For example both wheels are triggering the timing mechanism (with the FSR) so the laps are a bit off...

But I'll come back here and make a post once I feel comfortable sharing it.

Sheldon
Hi Sheldon.

Phoenix Sports carries a complete line of track cycling switches. They are CUSTOM made to our specs and have a longer service life than the standard. We have special cabling installed as well.

3 TAPE 3 FOOT (1M) TAPESWITCH FOR CYCLING
10 TAPE 10 FOOT (3.5) TAPESWITCH FOR CYCLING
20 TAPE 20 FOOT (6) TAPESWITCH FOR CYCLING
24 TAPE 24 FOOT (7.5) TAPESWITCH FOR CYCLING
24 TAPE WITH WIRE 24 FOOT (7.5) TAPESWITCH FOR CYCLING, 200M WITH 75M WIRE TO C BOX
GAFFING TAPE RED, WHITE, BLACK, BLUE TAPE FOR SWITCHES
250M WIRING SET 2 SPOOLS OF CABLING FOR 250M TRACK WITH ALGE TIMY , ETC

We are now using full length switches for the Start Finish line due to the Omnium Flying Lap
Hi Fred

Thanks for the info. I'll look on the website for more details and prices.

But, for now back to this topic...

So the photocells I have look like this:

Now, can anyone suggest how to set these up. I have two sets. So what I couldn't decide is if would be better to use them as TX/RX which I think is not necessary over a 7 meter track width, or if it would be better to use them with reflectors and put one above the other to give a bigger (higher) trigger zone. I also have a few tripods and a large, round, heavy base. I don't know what those angle irons which they are currently mounted to are used for...

The track is a 250 m with very steep bankings (I believe they're 47 deg).

I'd like to use them for timing pursuits and time trials and then sprints which start in the middle of the banking...

Then this is what the arduino (diy timing system) looks like - still lots of work to get it looking good and weather proof!

Thanks

Sheldon

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.