Skip to main content

I'd appreciate any leads for a mechanism which could release a spring loaded barn style dual slalom start gate (ie. two people line up behind spring loaded mini-doors, when the door releases they can start)

The aim is to be able to electronically release the gate- for example, someone presses a button and the gate releases. A second example, is someone finishes through a photocell, and that triggers the start gate to release.

I've used manual triggered gates before, but have a race series where electronic opening is required. They would need to be quick opening, against fairly strong springs, to ensure both opened at about the same time.

Any ideas where I'd find a mechanism which could do that?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Industrial electromagnets (look for door lock type) with relay to release. The magnets are not cheap but are simple and used in these types of applications that I have seen. I also have seen the other type of door lock, physical latch, that works when someone "buzzes" you in. The mechanical was used with Swiss Timings Snowboard PGS start gates for many years and the magnet type has been used for SBX and also the famous Jim Ellis horse gates for many years too. Whichever you choose you will either send voltage for a release or take it away. Relay circuit and power supply will be needed.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.