Skip to main content

I use the 411 with an S4 or a TIMY. How do I set the dip switches in order to get a bib#, start time, finish time, and net time for each racer in case the time doesn't register in the computer software (SplitSecond/Ski Club). We will have two racers on course at the same time. Thanks for any help.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Are you proposing to use the DPU as a "net time logger" using a separate serial port with the software?

If so then the DPU has to be set at

9600,N,8,1

Note: Configure dip switches on Seiko DPU 411 for serial operation at 9600 Baud SW1 SW2 1 off 1 on 2 on 2 on 3 on 3 on 4 on 4 off 5 off 5 off 6 off 6 off 7 on 8 on

You should also have the carriage return and line feed setting turned on.

You have to set up the output to serial port under Timing/Timing Log/Output to serial port.

The serial port must be identified in Windows Device Manager.
I don't think Fred's suggestion solved the problem, the logging feature will only work if the software registers the TOD, and in turn will print it. If it doesn't register it, it won't print it anyway.

They need the printer directly connected to the S4, but in this case, I don't believe it will print bibs or net times, just TODs as it is operating as a time base only. But that explanation doesn't make sense with a Timy.

I didn't answer before as the question is confusing.
Jenna
Hi Jenna,
We connect the 411 directly to the S4. The S4 is also connected to the laptop which records times in SplitSecond. Someimes, the impulse doesn't register in SplitSecond, so we don't get a time. It would be helpful to have the printer show the start and finish times of each racer as a backup. With the dipswitch settings that we have now, it's difficult to determine each racer's start and finish time. Does that make sense?
Your question was a little confused by asking about the Timy. I am not an S4 expert, but if set-up correctly (you MUST have a printer connected to the S4 to time a FIS race or USSA for that matter) you should get something like marking before starts and finishes. I think it is KZ and ST but I am not sure. It won't print bibs or net times.

Are you missing starts or finishes? Is it a cable issue (loose wire)? Do you have the min time set and/or delay set? There are a nunber of ways to determine where these starts and finishes are not registering, starting with a printer attached to the S4 that you can read, even if you have to hand mark it, is a start. If you know, as you seem to, the S4 is printing the starts and finishes, go to the next step and see for sure it is sending them out and not ignoring them somewhere before the DIN port. If it is sending then, is it a cable issues? Next would be a computer serial port problem or possible a buffering issue. Finally I would look at Split Second as the culprit.

Good luck!
Jenna
A printer connected to the S4 in program 3 will only show the channel ID and a TOD time. There will be no other indication of where the time came from. The purpose of running all timers in TOD is to be able to cross reference from one system to the other. Marking the S4 tape every time a significant incident (DNS,DNF, DQ) happens on course will be helpful in the event that you need a time.

Make sure that your S4 is set to:

CLR. JA every time you turn it on. The S4 will not transmit times to the PC once 8000 splits have been recorded.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.