Skip to main content

We use a Timy connected via USB to a laptop. During a race last weekend, they lost communications between the Timy and the laptop 3 times. They tried a different port but the problem continued. It happened spontaneously and irregularly during timing. It could have been the USB cable - they did not switch it. Has anyone experienced this? If so, can you suggest any solutions?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Reading 'BillFi' question, I am under the impression that he has installed the drivers and are communicating directly to the laptop via USB. It sounds like he is not using any adapters. I have installed the USB drivers on our laptop and communicate between the TIMY and the laptop using USB. The only problem we have found so far is it locked up once before a race. I rebooted the timer and laptop and it has worked fine ever since - so far! The operating system is XP Pro. I have not heard of anyone else having problems so far.
We are using USB to USB interface using a standard USB port on the computer. It happened again this past weekend with a new cable and different computer. This weekend it was a standard USB port in a desktop. The Timy is communicating in Setup & test and thru most of the race but it just stops sometimes. Both computers were using XP Pro. Rebooting Timy is a problem because these were socred races with sync'd clocks. We restart SST and reconnect the Timy through Timy Control to get it going again.
Sorry, I have been off the forums for a while. To answer some of your questions, our battery pack is old, but we have a very high-end UPS backup. We have the latest driver, and we ran the Alge Com to File program on the computer per Fred's instructions. We have experienced this issue every race we timed this year when using the USB interface. This past weekend we went back to the serial interface. We timed 404 runs at the PA J4-5 state championship with intermediate times without a problem. I am convinced that the USB interface has some kind of bug. We will not use it again until Alge introduces a new driver.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.