Skip to main content

In case you missed it like I did, this past Friday ALGE posted a firmware update for the Timy, which can be found here: http://www.alge-timing.com/alge-e.htm.

We were set up on this past Saturday to do a cycling time trial with an ALGE photo eye, the Timy and Split Second Software. With our first 6 or 8 Juniors across the line everything was operating normally, then suddenly photo eye impulses that were getting to the Timy were not coming into Split Second. Alignment and all cable connections were good. Split Second was still reading the Timy as connected, and photo eye impulses were still being recorded by the Timy. Rebooting Split Second didn't solve our problem. With 300 riders at 30 second intervals coming at us (and now 30 riders behind on timing), we had to go to Plan B, which was Finishlynx and a good Chief Judge.

The job got done, but it was a real head scratcher until Fred happened to call later that day. He suggested the firmware update might resolve the issue. Happy to report that updating the firmware and testing the same setup by running the dogs across the photo eye beam for a total of 300 impulses presented no failures. The testing team of Brodie and Annie did show a significant drop off in speed and performance as the impulses increased, but I do not think that was related to or covered by the firmware update. More testing of the dog's firmware is still needed.

Attachments

Images (3)
Original Post
While a firmware update may have helped this situation the issue of times not being transmitted from the TIMY to SST software is based on the USB interface. This connection has proven to be inconsistent since its release several years ago and continues to have problems. While I hope that it will get sorted out I will continue to use a serial connection as this has never failed. I have not yet installed the most current firmware and appreciate the dedication by Annie and Brodie. I may give the USB connection a try for a non critical application this summer.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.