Skip to main content

I'm having a problem trying to drive a display thru a USB port. I'm using USB>serial adapter out of a laptop. Then the cable from the adapter to the GAZ is DB9 serial to two banana plugs (supplied with the display board).

The displays work fine when connected directly to a Tag CP705 or to a Timy. When connected to the laptop it appears that the signal is being transmitted (because the Tx led is flashing on the USB/Serial adapter). I've tried every combination of selecting COM ports on the laptop and every combination on the GAZ board (thumb wheel adjustment, 2400/9600 baud rate, toggle switch position and turning the power off and on again on the GAZ when trying new settings).

Is it possible that the ALGE serial/banana plug cable supplied with the display is just a little too long. I don't know if the distance capabilities might be reduced when trying to drive this out of a USB port? Could that be my problem?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thank you. I'm using Tag MSport software. A dongle is required for full operation of the GAZ board, but there is a demo / test mode. I just want to see if it'll work before buying the software licence and key.

I'll try the GAZ utility you'd mentioned.

I'm pretty sure the usb/serial adapter is OK. I have two identical Belkin adapters and I've tried them both. Neither works when connected to the GAZ, but they both work fine when connected between the timer and the laptop.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.
I downloaded the GAZ utility from ALGE. It still doesn't send a signal to the display board. Curious.

The com port is correct. I tried both 2400 and 9600 baud rates on both the program and the toggle switch on the board.

I tried different combinations of powering up the display board and connecting the USB.

I also tried various GAZ addresses on the thumb wheel. Any recommendations on where it should be set?

I tried different gaz addresses on the drop-down menu on the lower left corner of the screen as well. Are the A, B, C ... on this menu intended to match up with the 1, 2, 3 .. on the thumb wheel adjustment?

I'm not entirely sure what the "rotate right" check-box is in the software? Might be an Austrian translation thing?

Thanks for your help.
You should not have to pay for TAG/msports software. They claim to give it away for free for TAG owners.

The letters correspond to the addresses

A= Ad1
B= Ad2
etc

Set the GAZ on program "0" with the toggle switch in the center. 2400 baud.

The ALGE GAZ utility should work with that (exactly like the TIMY).

It sounds like you are used to forcing the GAZ to work with your 705 by changing the baud rate to 9600, cycling power, etc. The attempt to make the GAZ work naturally is normally very simple. Take a step back and try again.

1) Attach the TIMY and get the GAZ to display using the native 2400 baud rate
2) Swap the TIMY for the RS232 cable connection to the PC running the GAZ utility
3)Try the Msports software.
4) Download Split Second and try your display with their software which works 110%

GAZ displays have two issues with signal input from devices other than simple TIMY/s4/TDc>GAZ operation.

The rotary dial can get dislodged and it will not read anything other than "0". Remove main cb and reinstall dial cover. Glue it down to prevent it from coming off again.

Also the wire leads from the banana plug inputs to the main cb break and the signal cannot flow to the circuit board. Remove main cb and resolder leads.
Thanks FKP. I attached the Timy and everything works fine (thumb wheel at 0, baud 2400).

I think the internal wiring connections are all OK. (I have two GAZ boards & two ALGE DB9/banana cables. I have tried them both and, while they work fine connected directly to the either the Tag or ALGE timer, I still can't get either to work off the USB/laptop.) I've also tried three different USB/serial adapters.

I'm going to find a different laptop, hopefully with a 9-pin serial port, and give it another whirl.

I also tried the SplitSecond test, but I can't seem to get the software to assign the proper com-port (it seems like only com3 is available in the software). Is there something else I should be doing here?

Yeah, the Tag MSportPro and MSkiPro software is free when using Tag equipment, but a licence is required to operate the ALGE display boards. I've used the Tag software for several years and it works great! I use this timing and results software for all sorts of sports events (from triathlons, to cycling, to dog mushing, to kayak races). I use because it's really flexible (will handle races that have both individual and multi-person relay.)

It's a challenge at this point. (I dream of a day when when there's no longer dozens of kinds of computer plugs and interfaces! Sadly, I likely won't live long enough!)

Thanks again for your advice.
I have been watching your posts, and when I read it today, I first thought "USB Adapter Driver", but you said the USB adapters work with the timer in. Are you sure the DB9 cable is wired correctly? If you have a DB9 to Banana Plug that works with a timer sending data to the computer, the same cable certainly won't work to send data to a scoreboard. You need three banana plugs wired off of the DB9 that goes into the USB to Serial (DB9) Plugs. The pin out is:

2 In (from timer)
3 Out (to scoreboard)
5 Ground (common)

Make sure that is right and I think you might be all set.
Jenna
Thanks. No the connection between the timer and computer are DB9 (out of the timer) to DB9/USB adapter (into computer).

From the laptop to the Gaz board I have USB/Serial DB9 to DB9-two connector banana plug. (This DB9 / two-connector banana jack wire is the one that came with the display boards. It will also work when connecting the Tag CP 705 directly to the GAZ boards.)

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
I still think you need to check the pin outs. Tag is notorious for using pin outs opposite of what most other devices use. I did a quick check of the Tag 705 manual and on the last page it says:

DB 9 male plug « Display »

2 TX data output RS232

5 Ground

So if you are using this cable from the computer, it definitely won't work.
Jenna
Thanks Jenna. This is most likely the problem. I checked the GAZ4 manual on the Alge website to see if there is an explanation or cable description on how to connect a PC to a GAZ display. It only describes connections with Alge timers. Do you know the pin assignments to get from DB9 (computer) to the two banana plugs on the Gaz board? I can likely build this myself.

Thanks
My previous post had the answer for wiring from a computer:

2 In (from timer)
3 Out (to scoreboard)
5 Ground (common)

You can buy a null modem adapter and just plug that in between the USB->Serial (DB9) or build a new DB9->Banana plug with the pin outs above. If you use three single banana plugs, you can use this for any situation. I keep a number of these around and it lets me plug in multiple devices in between computers, timers, and scoreboards. Either way, I still never understood why Tag put scoreboard out on pin 2.
Jenna

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.