Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Just ordered a new Windows 10 consumer laptop from Dell/ Staples to try this out.

Most indications from the pro timers are that Vola works best on Windows 7 and 8.

So we shall see as more and more races happen.

One thing is for certain. Make sure that the USB drivers for the serials adapters are up to date. The single biggest issue that has always been faced is in trying to get the timers and scoreboards talking through the serial adapters.
I am running Vola on a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10. It seems to work correctly. Fred is correct when he says that you have to check the USB to Serial drivers. My older Prolific cables have some issues in Windows 10. Windows 10 updated the driver to the latest version but that version did not work. I found an older driver which does work but I have to roll back the version each time I start the computer. A new usb to serial cable with a newer driver solved the problem.
VOLA does not like my USB to serial adapters from I/O Gear / ATEN. on the Windows 10 Dell described above

These adapters have been VERY stable for several years and install quickly with Windows 10.

For some reason I am getting the equivalent of the "blue screen of death" when trying to interface with Microgate scoreboards. It appears that VOLA sends out some data or commands that cause the adapter to crash and the system to shut down.

We have not seen this yet with anything other than the Microgate output.

We can get the Microgate to work and stay stable with an older Dell with native serial port.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.