Skip to main content

Your advice was exactly right. We ran Nastar today with the RS232 connection with no problems. Hardly knew what to do, not having to write down and key in
numbers.

Actually, I got kind of close when putzing around. I did try PR3, but didn't do a manual start. Hopefully, Nastar will put out a tech. note for people with the S4.

Now, the next step is driving the scoreboard, which of course doesn't give the times other than the time of day. The computer is a new Toshiba, but with the serial port occupied with the data input from the time. Suggestions?

Maybe a PCMCIA card? Or, could the printer port work with an adapter? Expect that this is not a first-time need. Let us know, and we'll buy what we need ASAP. Also wouldn't mind having the RS232 cable a meter or so longer, so the computer can be set farther away from the timer, if needed.

Ho, ho, ho. Merrie Christmas.

Originally posted 26 Dec 2000 by Ed Brazil
edbrazil@compuserve.com
Original Post
First thing you need is another serial port.

Try Mobile Planet, www.mobileplanet.com

I like PCMCIA cards from SOCKET $160.00

http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?dept_id=3210&pf_id=MP540103&listing=1

Or try a BELKIN USB-Serial adapter $85.00

http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?dept_id=3210&pf_id=MP540103&listing=1

I personally like PCMCIA but to each their own.

Then make sure that WIN 98 recongnizes the port under DEVICE MANAGER. If it is a legal port, then proceed to NASTAR soft. It should be COM 3 if you
have a modem and PCMCIA. God knows if it is USB/serial.

In the NASTAR software, setup and test, select the type of display and the COM port (COM 3) that you will be using. Send a test pattern to the display. Make sure that the rotary dial (GAZ 4/PST) is set on "0" for a single board and the toggle switch is in the middle. Try reversing polarity if it does not work. Older GA 82
displays use rotary "0" with the switches to the left. Split Second (new NASTAR/USSA) software does not always address older ALGE displays properly. Try using the Fiddleware software on our website to try to see if it is the software, the PC, or the display. Use rotary dial 2 or 4 for Fiddleware.

Originally posted 26 Dec 2000 by Fred Patton

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.