Skip to main content

This is kind of embarrassing since I have timed a few million runs of NASTAR with an S-4. But not in the last 5 years - that's my excuse for forgetting the set up!
As in standard NASTAR race format, I need to plug 2 start impulse cables from two independent start switches and two finish impulse cables [din] from two independent photocells into the correct channels on an S-4. The desired result is two sets of T.O.D's - one for each course - fed through the Rs2 cable into a lap top. Our software will accept this data and produce net times for each racer in each course, results for each course, and results for combined time of one run in each course. That much I remember.
What I don't remember is the program #, although I am pretty sure it is 3, and the cable assignments. The answer should be easy for any of you ace alpine race timing guys, but it should have been easy for me too. I ran into a common problem I have encountered with the S-4 users manual: the translation from Austrian is poor enough to thwart me from locating the desired information.
Thanks in advance
Nick from Jackson Hole
Original Post
In NASTAR or Club = Setup and Test

S4 at default 4800 baud

Program 3 in HP mode

The default input mapping is:

Yellow Start = Channel 0 banana inputs
Sz on printer, 1 on Setup screen

Yellow Finish = Channel 1 DIN photocell input ( You use either the ALGE RED stop cable from the cell or the jumper with Pin 3 as ground and Pin 2 as signal)
K1 on printer, 2 on setup screen

Green Start = Channel 3 banana plug input
K3 on printer , 3 on setup screen

Green Finish = Channel 4 DIN photocell input ( You use either the ALGE RED stop cable from the cell or the jumper with Pin 3 as ground and Pin 2 as signal)
K4 on printer, 4 on setup screen

IF you want to use the S4 as a Stand Alone dual course timer you will use Program 1 with the same inputs from the sensors. The toggle switch on the front controls which course (A = red, B =Blue) you are timing on. Pressing yellow/red buttons together clears the respective course. You can only plug one display in and then toggle back and forth between who finishes first.
Last edited by fkp

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.