Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The S4 timer is capable of sending the "time of day" data to the software and timing one racer on course at at time. You can use this mode to cover yourself if there is a PC or software problem. Just slow the race down a little and time one at a time on the S4. You can leave the PC plugged in and it will catch up with you when it reboots. Follow the instructions previously posted on the forum listed below:

The S4 can be used for FIS/USSA races without a PC in the same mode as you would use with the PC. 18 channel timer with time of day entered. The only difference is the position of the toggle switch. Place it on "C" after the time of day sync. YOU must have a printer connected and you can only run one racer at a time on the course. You can reset the "net time" for each racer by pressing red/yellow together and 0:00:00 will appear. You cannot connect an ALGE display to display the net times unless the eprom is changed to 4800 baud.

PAGE 33 of the manual

Press toggle up to "line test"

Turn on timer

Rotate around to Pro 3 with yellow button (skip if it comes up to Pr 3)

Press Red/Yellow together to confirm

Press Red/Yellow together at CLR JA to flush memory

Press yellow then red so that HP 0:00:00 appears

Input hours with Red , minutes with Yellow

Receive the sync pulse with impulse to Ch 0 banana plug, or press toggle switch down to "delay" for testing.

Time of Day is shown on "A" and "B", net times on "C"

Leave the switch on "A" for normal Split Second use.

The input defaults in Split Second are:

Channel 0 banana plugs "START" Green /Signal
Channel 1 DIN plug directly above "FINISH" , Pin 3 ground, Pin 2 signal.

FOR "STAND ALONE" emergency use:

Leave toggle on "C"

Press RED/Yellow together to clear "net time"

Plug in a P4 or Seiko printer

Take a start impulse. Note that the printer will print the "time of day" and directly below the 0:00:00 for a net start.

Take a finish impulse. Note that the K1 for the photocell channel "A" is printed and directly below is the net time.

The LCD screen on the timer will only freeze for a brief moment until you increase it. Press the toggle down to "delay" Keep pressing it down until SLP appears. Increase SLP to 8 or 9 by pressing the red button. Press red/yellow to save and return to timing.

NOTE!!!! The times printed on the tape are to 1000ths. They must be truncated to 100ths. The only true LEGAL times are the "time of day" splits. If there is a question or tie, you must subtract the "time of day" start and finish times at 1000ths and subtract to 100ths. Make sure you write the bib numbers on the tape so the
chief of T&C has a reference.

Try to use this method as a last resort if your software or PC dies. It is nice to know that the S4 can get you out of a bind though.
I am having trouble getting the S4 into the time of day mode. I've done it many times -- but now I get as far as seeing the 8 zeros. When I press the yellow and red buttons to get to HP, the 8 zeros just keep on returning and I can't get past that point. The unit has new batteries. Any thoughts on what I may be missing? THANKS.
After a few people calling with the problem of their S4's showing flashing 8's in the display; we found that they are holding the Yellow+Red buttons down too long. When you want to set or change something that requires the double button press, you should depress the yellow button and hold down while pressing the red button and immediately release both for the setting to take.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.