Skip to main content

We are looking to purchase a photofinish camera to suplement our MyLaps prochip transponder systems used in BMX Racing. First thought was the MyLaps camera which has integration with the transponder system which I believe is only if you use Orbits (we don't).

Haven't seen much information on the MyLaps camera, only Lynx and so am asking for feedback from people who can comment on:
* Real world experience with the MyLaps camera
* Pros and cons with MyLaps v Lynx camera systems
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have seen a My Laps camera attempt to compete head to head with a Lynx. The My Laps camera appears to only capture images when prompted by a chip read. It does not appear to be able to run in almost continuous mode like a Lynx. The only purpose appears to be to give an image to verify close finishes. The version of the camera we saw in 2010 did not work in the heat. The controller kept overheating and shutting down.

I gather you use the excellent BEM software package.

Have you seen the latest TAG-Heuer RC transponders with replaceable batteries? The TAG systems are designed to work in conjunction with the Lynx Pro 3000fps camera.

We have some photos and other documentation we can share.
Subsequent to my origional post, MyLaps demonstrated their camera at the recent Australian BMX Nationals.

Suspect it was a later model as it auto captures either in transponder linked mode where it shows both transponder and camera trigger times and also when run in stand alone mode where the camera triggers and saves images that can be reviewed if and when required. Quite impressive really but then again, I haven't had any hands on experience with Lynx.

For our particular requirement, the shortcoming I see with the MyLaps camera is not having a head on Identi Lynx type facility and so this would need to be set up using an independant system. Guess it will all come down to price using the Lynx BMX Silver Package as the benchmark.

While I haven't seen the latest TAG-Heuer RC transponders, our associations have made a substantial investment in MyLaps Pro-chip systmes and can't see us moving away from that any time soon.
Tag Heuer RC transponders do indeed have a replaceable CR2450 lithium battery. Attached file shows the open transponder. The cap is held on with two small screws and sealed with an o-ring. I have no idea how well it seals, but they are apparently waterproofed - I'm reluctant to test one to destruction, but have used them successfully in very wet conditions.

Some RCS transponders are rechargeable, those have charge contacts under the label on the front of the sealed case.

Hope that helps Smile

Attachments

Images (1)
  • rc_open
This is a change from the first batch of RCS Transponders I saw and briefly tested from Chronolec that were charged through induction.

Having tested and worked with 3 or 4 types of active transponders I would personally be leery of the O Ring seals staying sealed after air travel. The pressurization can break an O-ring seal and then if even get a little salt water in at a triathlon swim you're toast.

This design does look mostly sealed below the battery but it would be interesting to know how they sealed the battery lead into the rest of the chip.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.