Skip to main content

Are there any other viable alternatives to Tag, Alge, or Microgate headset for over-wire communications? It seems ridiculous that I can buy a new iPhone for the same price of a new headset and amp... If you've made one from other parts or have found a cheaper alternative to the "big companies", then please let me know.

Thanks!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Fair question.

Check out other options from Pro Audio suppliers such as Clear Com

300-x4-single-ear-headset-with-4-pin-female-xlr

and the beltpacks

rs-701-single-channel-standard-beltpack

I think you will find that the prices are in line with having to import the pieces from Europe. Customs duty on these products is higher than other products as well.

Timing specific communications are also designed to work on a pair of twisted pair cable in parallel with timing signals. Pro audio systems use a 3 wire xlr based balanced line.

Phoenix Sports offers a flat charge for repairing headsets out of warranty. We trade the broken unit in and send you a new one of the same or superior type for $150.00 for the HS2 series.
Now only for information: http://gro-timing.com/?p=p_19 -sorry, but no language versions yet...
On one twisted pair of wires with timing. Working with all computer headsets, from the cheapest to pro versions, like used in call centers or TV-cameraman. No interference to timing pulses - voltage of signal in hill cable is lower than histeresis of time inputs of chronometers. Battery 6F22 -typical 9V, obout 100 hours of working time. Price obout 90$ in Poland.
A lot of ski-resorts, clubs etc. in Poland use them for more than 10 years.
Jerry -Jaroslav
Last edited by jerryg
Jason, I think everybody passed through this issue.

About the amps, most of the issues are:
> some battery liquid leaks
> capacitors drying and/or burnt due to spikes or overvoltage in the timing lines
> mechanical stress on the DIN connector of the headset, on the soldered side
> oxidization of the DIN connector.

ALGE offers an excellent after sales service, but I guess you won't send your car to Detroit for some small maintenance. We found an alternative through a friend working in a music shop. They are probably the last ones dealing with analog audio. We left them some broken units and a fully working one that was used to follow the paths and find the problems.
It was not only a problem of money. Often, the time it took to deliver the unit, have it serviced and mailed back was simply too long. I am sure you can find an experienced “old style” electronics technician that can fix your units for a nominal price.

About the headsets, the situation is different. The Q38 was a great one. We could buy it also from the music shop, as AKG did not sell to small businesses. But for the timekeeping it was also mechanically weak and the plastic suffered cold temperatures. Common mistakes were putting it in the knapsack instead of some protective case. Now the alternative parts from the “big companies” are quite expensive and not as good as the previous products.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.