Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not sure you can beleive the accuracy that the companys promote. We have tested with AMB and J-chip. Both active transponders...AMB 3/100sec when measured against a photofinish at 40km/hr... j-Chip ~1/10sec at 40km/hr in the same test circumstances.
Then there is the problem with not being able to test accurately of the straight finish line at the finish. With a photo cell you know you have a straight line.
FIS and UCI don't certify transponder timing. UCI will use transponders as an identification method but will rely on photofinish or photo cell to get accuracy.
We've done it with AMB Activ and ProChips, with mixed success. The problems we encountered had more to do with not being well versed how time a downhill race and athletes not following simple, but different procedures, than problems with accuracy or the ability of the chips.

I guess you would have to look at the requirements of the event. Local club race, I expect it would be no problem, UCI event, use them for informational purposes and backup.

Of course, the folks MyLaps, can show you pictures where FinishLynx got the finish order wrong and chips got it right. It was a case where the FinishLynx operator did not have the camera aligned correctly with the finish line. So even the best equipment in the world, used incorrectly will give bogus results.
Yes, I have a question.

Where did you get your information?

NOT TRUE for Track Cycling. Also NOT TRUE for road cycling.

UCI Track Cycling regulations:

3.6.089 A timing system including starting blocks, contact bands and an electronic display (times to the thousandth
of second, laps, points, etc.), a photofinish or video-finish system to assist in judging finishes, and
a general public address system clearly audible throughout the entire velodrome area must be provided.

UCI Road Cycling regulations:

2.3.038 (N) Photo-finish with an electronic timing tape shall be mandatory.

2.4.013 The start may be determined by the front tyre making contact with an electronic timing strip on the start line.
Last edited by themightyskunk
In FIS ICR Cross-Country 2012, the rules has changed:

316.4.1 The following electronic timing technologies can be used to identify the official finish times:

- Electronic timing system based on photo cells. The measuring point of the light or photo barrier must be at a height of 25 cm above the snow surface
- Electronic timing system based on transponders
- Photo finish system. The measuring point will be the toe of the first boot meeting the finish line.

http://www.fis-ski.com/data/do...oss-country-2012.pdf

I don't have any context or background information regarding this change.

Best regards
Henning Spjelkavik

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.