Skip to main content

My road cycling racing club is interested in the possibilities of RFID timing systems. We're looking for a system that uses:
-Passive, disposable chips (non-proprietary).
-Side antennas if possible.
-Relatively quick/easy setup.
-Semi-intuitive software or the ability to choose software vendor.
-Supportable hardware (5-10 years)
-Decent timing accuracy (we'll be using video for finishes).

We'd be using this for hill climbs, crits, road races, time trials... pretty much all of the road cycling disciples.

Any advice would be appreciated. The last time we looked at this, the technology just wasn't there yet. We're hoping that has changed.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for your response.
My concern with Race Result is their Sales Contact actually has a significant financial penalty if you don't use their timing chips. Not something I want to get involved in.

RFID has my interest right now, but I'm also interested in the DIY approach of Atlas RFID, although I'm not sure how well it would work in my application. I was also wondering if you could use RFID's side antennas with an Impinj Speedway Revolution R420.

Just seeing what's possible and practical, given the size of the events I would be timing.
I'm also concerned about the number of tags I can detect per second, given the speeds of your average criterium or other pack-oriented bike race. Even with a pack size of 20-30, the number of riders rolling over the line within that second could be significant. Like I said, we'd be using video for the finishes, but for getting accurate lap counts I was hoping the chips would take the manual tabulation out of the equation.
Race Result has options that allow you to buy the chips on the open market, you just pay more for the hardware upfront.

I know at least one company that has done extensive testing with side antennas. Results are not good. Lots of overlap and wide finishes / lap cause for lots of missed reads. This wouldn't be too much of a problem with a TT, but with a crit or mass finish/lap, you'd miss many and might as well just use the camera to do laps. Overhead antennas will solve the problem (no blocking of chips if properly mounted) or an active chip with a thin antenna (Race Result and MyLaps ProChip).

Basically, what you're asking for doesn't really exist, regardless of the hardware you choose. As an FYI, the hardware that reads RFID is all pretty much the same internally.

JG
Hi Mike,

An active system would definitely be the best solution for transponder timing on cycling events.
race result will soon release a new timing device which will make active chip timing more affordable, so stay tuned!

If you would rather go passive, side antennas are not a good idea, as you will surely miss laps when a bunch of cyclists cross the line together. I would say the new race result mat is thin enough to be used on road cyclign. You may wan to try it with chips stuck at the back of an MTB plate.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.