Skip to main content

We have been having several issues with our existing hill cabling that extends between our start and finish houses. The wiring is rather old and been through several splices, broken boxes, etc. The decision has been made to trench a new line over the summer and have all terminals/connectors replaced. Any advice as to type of wiring, boxes, connectors, etc? Our start houses are portable so the connection boxes will be pole mounted under the elements. Any advice is appreciated!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We use portable 2 pair spools as back up now. For 2 seasons they were our only cabling. You can set your course up anyware. We use 2 pair due to weight. Always love 3 pair. But the weight?!? Our spools are well over 15 years old and look and feal brand new. Better than wireless. Cables are stored inside on spool till race day, this protects them form Varmits and decay in ground. Takes some time to set up and protect from skiers & snowcats.
I suggest 22gauge 12 pair gopher shield cable, hoffman boxes and dual banana jack/binding posts. This is what I have been using for 12 years on our FIS hill except the wire. Our wire was replaced this past summer as it was badly damaged by snowmaking (wire was installed with the pipes and burned many times). The new gopher shiled cable is not trenched in but should last at least 10 years in this environment. Boxes come out to be about $250 each after all is done and cable prices fluctuate based on the price of copper. 6 pair is not much cheaper and going 12 will keep you running even when a few pairs go bad plus give you options for intermediates, remote finishes, start display boards, etc.
I know this is a year old, but another vote for proper infrastructure grade cable. That means it should be rated for direct burial, shielded, grease-filled and rodent proof. The cost of cable is usually outweighed by the cost of proper burial and terminations, so don't skimp on pairs, sooner or later you'll always need more. 12 should be considered minimum, and if you're holding speed events or GS with multiple start and interval locations, 25 pair on at least the lower portion of the course. Best scenario is if can get the resort to partner with you on placement of the cable. Most resorts have excavators that can do the work, and they may well be reluctant to allow a third party operator on the hill in any case. If the race club buys the cable, hopefully the mountain will provide a machine to lay it. Add some volunteer labour (keeps those young athletes fit in the off season) and you will have the line buried where it's needed and maybe, just maybe, the ops or snowmaking guys won't damage it, because they know it's there.

Proper terminations and distribution are also needed, or you waste your cable money. Fred has posted pictures on the site of his fibreglass station terminal boxes; most Canadian posters will know of Steve Mullen's exceptional work that extends from small club ski areas right up to World Cup and Olympic venues. Either way, it's critical to protect that cable and provide terminations that won't be degraded by weather exposure. Anything above ground should be in conduit right to the box.

Yes, this stuff costs money and isn't sexy like that new timer or display setup. But in the long term, you get your money back in the form of reliability and longevity. Volunteer hours are precious, don't waste them on doing the same job over and over because you cheaped out.
Here is a shot of a station terminal supplied to us in 2013. An eye bolt mounted outside the box is used to provide strain relief for the drop line using zip ties. Black rubber plug keeps snow out when not in use and is removable when needed. 66 punchdown block replaces screw type terminals from previous models. Perhaps not as clean looking as some systems, but it is easy to determine what pairs are connected. Space provided for a second terminal block if desired by user.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/f6pin7ofjwz4hzm/v1JvKkezAK

Distribution board in timing shack with blocks for eight stations. Hard to photograph with cell phone camera, too much backlighting from the windows to either side.

I like the 66 block peds. As you say they are very robust, fast and easy to use. Punchdown tools are not expensive and I have never had trouble with cold and loosing connections, even when the covers are left off and the thing is packed with snow. Split blocks are great for isolating pairs so you do not have any chance of fouling above or below your intended range. Just be sure you have spare clips as they are about impossible to find when dropped in the snow.
We are looking to replace our start/finish junction boxes so I'm looking for input. The boxes will be mounted on exterior lift towers and fence posts so we need something durable and that will stand up to the elements. Our current boxes are essentially "home grade" audio plates and I find myself constantly fixing broken wires, face plates, etc. Any feedback on good quality boxes, banana clips, etc would be appreciated!
Lots of boxes out there. I have been using Hoffman 8x12 steel with clamping latches. Others are using fiberglass and others choose plastic. Inside you can mount plates and install banana plug/binding posts. I have seen others make the plates out of plexiglass which is kinda nice as you can see all of the wiring inside. Below is a picture of the box at the start of our FIS venue. I like the binding post jacks as you can see I use bare wire at the box end, but you can use banana plugs if you like.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_1020
The re-wiring project is now complete. After three years of summer and winter work, over 2000 metres of 12- and 25-pair phone cable has been buried and there are 15 separate on-hill locations for DH, SG, GS and SL events. Apex Ski Club wishes to thank Apex Mountain Resort for excavation services, BC Alpine for funding of boxes and termination hardware, and Steve Mullen for his invaluable gifts of knowledge and effort.

The new cabin built by Apex Ski Club has a compact timing room and race office within it. All secured for equipment storage and everything at village level. Luxury!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.