Skip to main content

I used SST Club for the first time on the weekend and found it to be quite excellent.

The only problem I encountered was printing the Timing Log to my DPU-414 printer via a USB to Parallel adaptor. I set it in condensed mode printing and adjusted the computer printer settings to continuous feed and yet the SST software still prints huge page breaks. Is there any way to set this printer up to print without any page breaks so I don't have reams and reams of blank space?

My old timing software printed the log in real time one line at time with no page breaks. The printer is set as a generic text only printer in Windows 7.

Another question is about the Timy settings. I always use an MC-9 box with a USB to serial adaptor. However, I noticed I can, with SST, now plug in my Timy directly via the USB connection on it. I seem to get my MC-9 pulses OK. Is there any downside to using the Timy with an MC-9 box in this way vs through the Serial to SUSB from the MC-9? I noticed the Timing Set-up and test screen is different between the two.

Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Reconfigure the DPU-414 as a serial printer running at 9600 baud, no-parity, 8-bit data, 1-stop bit. You will then need to connect it to your pc using a usb-rs232 adapter (unless you have one of the few computers left with an rs232 port)

Then configure Club to output the timing log to a serial printer. Open 'Timing->Timing Log...->Output to Serial Port', then pick the com port that your computer assigned to the usb-rs232 adapter.

Now when you are timing, Club will output the timing impulses as they occur, instead of one page at a time.
You will have no problem having your MC-9 connected at the same time.

You need to make sure that the settings that you want to use with the TIMY are set in "serial " first. Then you can move to the USB.

Most TIMY users select Dual Timy at 9600 baud as the choice.

That sets up

Ch 0 red start
Ch1 red finish
Ch3 blue start
Ch4 blue fin

We have several sheets that have been made up to assist TIMY users transitioning to USB

write to us at info at phoenix-sports dot com and we will send it to you
Still cannot get the DPU-414 to output in real time without all the page breaks from Split Second FIS.

I checked the Dip switch settings and tried to match the ones you have indicated. I do not see an option for 1-Stop Bit, Here are my current settings and choices:

Dip SW-3
1 Length =8bits
2 Parity Setting = No
3 Parity Condition = Odd
4 Busy Control = H/W Busy
5-8 Baud = 9600

I am running this with the FIS software and have the printer configured correctly within Split Second.
And one other thing. I can print test pages easily to my DPU-414 and can manually print the timing log (Timing/Timing Log/View/Print) from within SS. However I cannot seem to get SS to see my printer in the Timing/Timing Log/Output to Serial Port screen. It gives me a selection of ports 1-9 but my printer is on port USB001 whcih is not listed.
The menu that you are describing prints to the default windows printer using whatever driver you have installed. The live timing log outputs to a raw serial port. Are you using the an DB9 connector on the DPU? You will also need to make sure that Dip SW-1 is setup for Serial input.

SplitSecond will always display serial ports 1 through 9 on the 'Output to Serial Port' page, so you will need to use the Windows Device manager to find which rs232 port you have the DPU attached to.

Also, to get rid of the extra line feeds on the DPU, make sure that 'Auto LF' on SW1 is set to off.
Unfortunately, there is currently no way around that issue. SplitSecond will reprint the entire timing log to the serial port whenever it is restarted or if you open an old race. I've just dealt with the issue the same as you have and make sure that the dpu414 is off before starting SplitSecond.

I recommend sending an email to Goeff at http://www.splitsecond.com/contact.php to see if he can fix that in an upcoming release.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.