Skip to main content

Hi,

This weekend we had a big problem with the results in one of our races. We actually had two different things go wrong:

1. A racer skied off the course and the operator did not catch it, so for the next few racers SpiltSecond was applying each racer's finish time to the previous racer, giving an incorrect of very slow times.

2. We had a long slow GS course, and some of the slower racers were skiing it in the 1:30 to 1:40 range. But the resort was starting them at about 25 second intervals, and this meant that twice we ended up with 5 racers on course. SplitSecond it seems has a limit of 4 racers on the course, so when this happened it would log "too many on course" in the timing log and ignore the 5th racer's start. Again the operator didn't catch it for a while and so we got the opposite to above with each racer's finish time getting applied to the following racer, giving an incorrect run of very fast times.

We eventually managed to sort all this out and manually re-calculate the times of the racers involved from the start/finish times in the timing log once we'd worked out what had happened, but it was a tedious manual task involving digging through the data in the XML files.

So my question is, is there an easier way to fix the incorrectly applied finish times when this happens? I've never seen the 2nd problem before, but a missed DNS is certainly something that we see occasionally.

If not, how about this as a feature request for SplitSecond: a screen that will display the racers' start and finish times in run-order, and allow the user to select a series of finish times and shift them either up or down to the next/previous racers?

Ian
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ian,
You really seem to know your stuff about computers, how the races work, etc. but this is hurting you in that you are being too technical and going to raw data for it. First, as soon as you catch a problem, like a really fast time, or something amiss, you can use the false finish buttons or even right click on a competitor for a number of other options that would help as you go.

There are a NUMBER of features built into Split Second (vary a little between Club and USSA) that will help you fix things after the fact. I am not sure if you are finding the actual Timing Log Split Second produces or not, but usually, just printing that, is enough to figure out what happened. Here is complete the list of ways Split Second is set-up to help with this:

1. I would suggest going through each and every menu of the software, looking at the options, and explanations on each page, you will learn A LOT.

2. Use a data logging printer, connected to a serial port on the timing computer. This will produce the log you are looking for in real time.

3. The software creates a "Timing Log" that is stored as part of the data file. Go to "Timing" "Timing Log" and "View" in either version.

4. You can have each page of this timing log print out as the page is complete on the laser/ink jet printer connected to the timing computer. In the Ski Club Software, this is a setting is in the Race Header and Options Tab in the upper right. In the National/FIS Software, this option is under "Edit" and "Options".

5. In the National FIS Software (which I don't believe you are using, but may be worth it, just for this feature, not in the Club Software yet) there is a button in the Competitor Tab called "TOD Fix" that brings up a chunk of the timing log shows you for a given bib, what is the current start and finish TOD being used to calculate that competitors elapsed time, and lets you choose another one (I think this is EXACTLY what you are asking for below). There is also a "TOD Edit" button that lets you edit any of the TODs for a given competitors.

The National FIS Software also creates a log of every racer and how each time was assigned to that racers (through timing in the timing screen, edits, DSQ, TOD Fix, etc. This report can be found under "Reports" and "Other Reports" and "TD Audit Report".

I hope this helps.
Jenna

quote:
If not, how about this as a feature request for SplitSecond: a screen that will display the racers' start and finish times in run-order, and allow the user to select a series of finish times and shift them either up or down to the next/previous racers?
Last edited by jenna
There are a couple of ways to quickly fix a mis-assigned finish.

If you see a racer finish, let's say bib 25, and his finish gets assigned to bib 24, you can deduce that 24 has either been passed or has DNFed. Now click on 25 in SplitSecond and select 'Swap with Finish'. This will assign the finish to 25 and put 24 back on course.

If there has been a missed DNF and the next couple of racers are mis-assigned finishes you can use the feature 'TOD Fix'. First, find the mis-assigned time. Now you have to consider every racer's time after that racer until you noticed the problem to be suspect. Let us again say bib 25 has finished and you notice his finish was assigned to 24. You radio the jury and find out that bib 23 was a DNF. Now click on bib 23 and assign him a DNF. Now click on bib 24 and select 'TOD Fix'. You will see the SplitSecond timing log and some arrows that show what SplitSecond thinks are the correct start and finish times for racer 24. Now you can change bib 24's assigned finish time by finding the incorrectly assigned finish for bib 23. Repeat this process for bib 25. Hopefully at this point you will be back in sync with reality.

After the race has concluded you should go over the timing log with the backup start and finish hand times to see that there are no other mis-assigned starts and finishes.

The 'TOD Fix' method can also be used for missed starts as well.

To answer your second question about a list of racer starts and finishes, check out the 'Timing Log' button on the right side of the timing window. It might be what you are looking for.
Thanks Jenna and Eric - Jenna's #5 and Eric's info would give me what I want, but unfortunately they're only in the FIS version. I forgot to mention that the resorts where we race all use the club version.

I aussume that there's no way to import club races into the FIS version or no tool around to convert from club to FIS?
I am new to this forum and realize this post is old but what we do is run an a and b system, and have a printer connected to each timer and run our S4's in time of day mode. We have a person beside the computer operator who marks the bib number of each start and finish on the printer tape. That way if we ever run into a problem we can go back to the printer tape and edit the time of day in Split Second for starts or finishes.
Jim

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.