Skip to main content

The latest revision of Split Second National/FIS and Club software supports a direct USB connection between the TIMY and the PC.

It has been successfully tested on XP and Vista.

There is an embedded link to allow the user to download the appropriate USB driver from the ALGE website.

http://www.splitsecond.com/software.php

Thanks to Split Second for spending the effort on this useful addition to the timer/pc interface inventory.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Geoff Elder visited the VARA Clinic at Killington Mt. School today.

He is shown here showing off the TIMY that he used to create the USB interface.

TG users are encouraged to try the USB interface as soon as possible. The oldest TIMY yet interfaced is from 2003. The first one sold in Vermont was in 2001 to the Suicide Six Ski Club.

NASTAR users will of course have this feature in their new software as well.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Geoff_with_USB_interfaced_TIMY
Make sure that "Timer" Serial port is set to "None" if using the TIMY - USB option. You will end up canceling the ability to output to a Scoreboard with a USB > Serial adapter if the Scoreboard is set to the same Serial port as the Timer. While this is not an acceptable option anytime, the "USB" setting obscures the Serial drop down so you have to go back and check it.
Matt, I know you know this, BUT----

Put a ALGE CD in your PC. If you do not have an Alge CD, you have to
download it from the Alge Homepage www.alge-timing.com. After
downloading the driver, you have to extract it: press unzip
2. Connect the Timy with your PC and switch it on. Please wait until Windows
finished searching for the driver. If Windows does not find the automatically,
open the device manager and make a double click to ”Unknown device”. Click
to „Locate and install driver”

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Timy
There are some great suggestions here that have helped, but I still can't quite get my TIMY to communicate with Split Second.

Here are my symptoms:
1. Running Split Second Version 6.10 Revision 3

2. When I first loaded the driver from the link in SplitSecond it showed in Device Manager, but not on the Open dropdown in the USB Timy Control dialog

3. I reinstalled the driver, but no change.

4. I installed and ran the Alge COMtoFile program as suggested by @FKP and made some progress:
     a. Timy1 now available in the Open dropdown.
     b.	Messages now includes:
            Driver API Version 231
            Driver Version 2.50 Build:0 Flogs:0
            Connection state is undef’ed
            Flash state is unknown
            OnPnPConnect
            ALGEUSB Version: 0.9.401

5. Timy itself reports on startup: TIMY V 0636

6. I hear an audible tone when unplugging Timy USB

7. When reconnecting Timy USB I hear audible and see in USB Timy Control dialog: OnPnPConnect

8. When restarting Timy it briefly displays USB Communication

9. Setup and Test Timing dialog continues to report ALGE Timy Status: not connected

Any thoughts on how to proceed?
The TIMY will not communicate with ComToFile using USB, but it is working with SplitSecond in serial mode. However, I've dug myself a little deeper into trouble since my last post.

I started suspecting that the firmware on my TIMY was too old to work with the USB driver. I went to the ALGE site and downloaded timy.bin from the download link called "Flash update V09.B5 from 2009-11-24"

I then downloaded the program called "InstallManger (Via RS232)". I went to the tab called Firmware then clicked the link "Install Firmware from File" (thinking it would then prompt me for timy.bin). After selecting the serial port for my Timy, the update began and displayed a bold red message "Clearing Firmware" (or something very similar). After a minute or so, the red message changed to "Programming Device..." and I was prompted to "Please choose update file".

The big problem now is that the dialog is looking for a file called "UpdateDateien.exe" not timy.bin.

I don't know where to find this program. I've tried looking for it on my ALGE CD, but my computers cannot read the disk (ugh!).

So, at this point I am afraid to move backwards and reset anything for fear that I've already cleared the firmware on the TIMY. And, I don't know how to move forward without this program.
No worries -- problem solved. I restarted the TIMY and reloaded firmware from the internet using InstallManager and all is well now.

My hat's off to the guys at ALGE. Even though I reset in the middle of a firmware update, the device restarted to a state where InstallManager could still communicate with it. I also need to thank Fred Patton over at Phoenix Sports who assured me that I could safely reset the device. I write software for a living and have worked with a lot of embedded systems and resetting a device is the middle of a firmware upgrade is often the time when the device is most vulnerable and likely to become a useless brick. I was very pleased that the software was robust and coded to handle this scenario.
Are you experiencing this multiple start issue when you press the start button on the TIMY or with an external start gate connected to the hill wiring?

Bring the start gate down and plug it in right next to the TIMY and try it. You should not get any secondary pulses if the start gate is working 100%.

If you get false pulses you need to have the main circuit board in the start gate replaced. Sometimes the start gates with the amps have water damage from moisture entering around the headset socket which then shorts out the circuit.

If the start gate test works then the issue is outside. You will need to add an opto coupler to your wiring if you get these false pulses out on the hill.

The best one available is the Blinky Box.

http://thetimingguys.com/products/blinkybox.html
The multiple start issue occur when I press the start button on the Timy. I press the start button once and four racers start automatically on Split Second. That situation never happened before the upgrade of the Timy and the software and the gate was working properly. In that situation should I do the test with the start gate ?
NOTE: YOU CAN USE STOPWATCH/DUALTIMER WITH SPLIT SECOND. JUST TURN OFF THE RUNNING TIME OUTPUT.

MENU/INTERFACE/RS232/MODE and make sure that NETTO TIME is OFF

Sometimes you may see this setting also adversely effects how Split Second works and bibs will start automatically. The software is picking up parts of the running time string accidentally and using that fragment as another start.

YOU CAN ALTER THIS SETTING IN STOPWATCH/DUALTIMER , BUT NOT IN BACKUP OR PC-TIMER

Make The change and then go back to the other program.
Windows 7 (32 Bit)

Download and install the TIMY or TIMY2 driver in the same manner as before creating the C:\driver folder.

• Plug the TIMY into the USB port
• You will probably get an error message telling you that the driver cannot be found.
• Go into Device Manager
• Click on Unknown Device with the exclamation point
• Update Driver
• Browse my computer for driver software
• Browse to C:\driver\TimyUSB
• Click NEXT
• Install this software anyway at error message
• You will see the label Timy USB device when you are done
• Close
• Close
• Open ALGE COM to FILE
• Download from www.algetiming.com pc software and install if needed
• The program comes up German (Deutsch)
• Click down to ??? and it will let you select English.lng
• Click up on COM port settings to select USB
• You will now see the “heartbeat” from the Timy
• Exit COM to File
• Open Split Second
• Timing/Setup and Test
• USB selection TIMY
• It may connect already, otherwise go to Timy Control
• You MUST see the “heartbeat” in Timy Control before continuing
• Reboot computer and try again if needed.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.