Skip to main content

How do you folk typically deal with backup timing. Splitsecond only has one timer input. This past weekend I set up the system for our Timer prior to the race. They use a 605 and 606 PTB, so I ran the secondary pairs to the unit that was not connected to the computer and he called that good. Without a keypad there is no way to enter a bib number. Is this typical. Do you just use the timestamp to locate the racer if required? Is there a way to hook up both? Or is it recommended that one of the units have a keypad to manually enter the next bib number?

Thanks for any help!
Doug

Also, any recommendation on practice in case I get called into action? Cheers!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you are timing with Split Second software there is only one timer that can be connected to the program. Your second timer, System B, can either be connected to a second computer running split second, connected any computer running another timing program or data recording program, or just left to print out time stamps on its tape.

If you do not connect your system B PTB to a computer you should at least mark the time stamps with the bib numbers for whom they belong. While I have seen people who do run software, most people do not process their system B with a computer.

Some feel the best option is to use a clock that can run in a NET time program and calculate the times for each racer while marking the bib on the time stamps. The TAG PTB series can time to extremely high resolution however it will not run as a stand alone timer.
Yes. I was looking at the FIS Timing booklet last night and I did see that for a CAT3 race (let's say USSA J4) one timer with ToD stamp +net and one with just ToD stamp is sufficient but I guess they should be writing the bib number to keep organized. It sounds like one of those PTB's and a 540, Timy would be a better option. Thanks all.
ask Geoff for a deal on 2nd Splitsecond license. PBT's have that annoying 2nd set of inputs just for syncing & no Lcd screen to view. I like to see two timers that are the same make and model. Also like to see Lcd Screen incase printer stops working. Timy & 540 are great with one cable plug in capability. PBT's are loved for the bi-directionalty feature which the 540 also has.
You are correct, just running a synchronized backup timer that prints in TOD is sufficient for regular USSA races.

You can sync the two PTBs with one computer and SplitSecond. It just requires setting up the backup timer for a sync, then moving the serial cable to the primary timer and setting it up for a sync.

And as John already mentioned, you could also just run Tag Heuer's SKI PRO software on a second program (or the same computer if you're nuts).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.