Skip to main content

We have been using TT*ware to time cross country mountain bike races this season with much success. The version we are using is 2.24, which features the all important "class" option and the "edit name" feature. These two elements were very important for use with XC races. We had used previous versions, but had some difficulty without the previous mentioned features. The 2.24 version allows for up to 30 classes or categories per race. This allows us to race different age categories at local and regional mountain bike races. When inputting the data into excel, you just have a class field that you specify when you set up the race. The number you assign the class in the race setup in TT*ware is input into the comma delimited database.

We have a person handling data entry, which allows us to handle many events that have same day registration only, and the rest of the crew is getting the races started. After the start, my data person brings me a diskette with all of the data. We use the assigned start time capabilities of TT*ware versus using an impulse to start as you may use in a TT or MTB downhill race. After the race has begun, I have all of the start times of the various age categories and I sort the excel file by the class column and input and copy/paste the start times across the field of racers. The file is saved as a comma delimited file and imported into TT*ware. When you pull up a rider, you will notice that there time is running...you have imported the data after the event has actually began.

We use a plunger to push button to finish the riders. There are a few ways you can handle this procedure. The perfect world has a pre-caller feeding you number in advance and you use the F9 button to put the rider number in the finish queue...when the plunger is pressed the time-of-day finish is assigned to the rider and the
software calculates a raw finish time taking the start time into consideration. The TT*ware features a standings board that can allow for announcing an unofficial time and place in the specific class. There is also a re-order feature which allows for correcting finish orders when a few riders jockey for position as they pass the
pre-caller. You make sure you get the true finish order on paper and then use the reorder feature to correctly assign the finish times. To make it even more of a full proof system, we write the bib/plate numbers on the time print out for back up. When things are really hectic, we make sure we get the numbers on the time print and use the F5 button to pull a rider from the data by bib number...which features their start time already listed...and we click and slide the appropriate time-of-day finish, which is collected in the data log, and assign it to the correct rider. The time is calculated and the rider is ranked in their class. This is very helpful when you
have a steady flow of riders crossing the finish line.

The "edit name" feature is excellent at local races where the critical job of registration is not always done competently. Often, you have to re-assign a rider to a different class, or even enter a rider into the data base when you get that number crossing the finish line that no one seems to be able to identify. This is no problem to correct after the race is over and people are wondering why they are in the wrong class.

When we are reaching the end of a race, but we still have some riders on course, we go to the print feature and print preliminary results directly from the TT*ware. The results feature a team name and time back which really impresses the average XC mountain bike racer.

We have done multiple races with more than 500 competitor with out any glitches from the TT*ware. We have even had some unique situations where we had to cut racers short and pro rate times. We sis it all in TT*ware and produced quality results in a very timely fashion. I am quite pleased with the 2.24 version of TT*ware
and look forward to the next version.

Robert Duppstadt Millennium Sports

Originally posted 30 May 2002 by Bob Duppstadt msports@helicon.net
Original Post
For those of you aren't familiar with it, TT*Ware is a Skunkware software product originally designed to produce the timing, scoreboards, and TV graphics for the Time Trial stages of Le Tour de France, hence the "TT". It debuted at Le Tour in 1999, the first year Lance Armstrong took the yellow jersey.

Although TT*Ware continues to be used at Le Tour (as well as all the other stage races organized by Le Societe de Le Tour de France), Fred Patton and assorted Phoenix Sports "power users" such as Talon Timing and Millenium Sports have figured out all sorts of other ways to apply it, such as nordic ski races and XC mountain bike races. I myself have used it for the cross-country phase of three-day eventing.

Early this year, I upgraded TT*Ware with all the latest Skunkware software features, such as direct-to-web results publishing in HTML and PDF, and direct-to-spreadsheet exporting to Lotus and Excel file formats.

TT*Ware supports the entire family of ALGE time bases, including the Timy.

Originally posted 2 Jun 2002 by James Broder
james@skunkware.tv

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.