Skip to main content

After timing a cross country mountain bike race yesterday with TT*ware version 3.07, I received and error when I went to print the results. The error said that there was a problem opening ttcomma1 file. The program would go to the next step in the print process, but the results that were displayed were from an earlier event...not the one we were timing.

I recently had to re-install Windows 2000 Professional, and everything else on the notebook I was using to time the event. I assumed the issue had something to do with were the files were located on the hard drive of the machine. I was struggling trying to resolve the issue in a timely fashion, so I contacted the excellent support of Phoenix Sports Technology. Fred immediately asked me to check and see if the ttcomma1 and ttcomma2 files were "read-only." They were "read only." I merely had to uncheck the "read-only" box under the properties of the two files, and I was then able to print the results.

You can see the results format at http://www.mountainbikeracer.com by clicking the results button for the Neshaminy race. TT*ware creates HTML or XHMTL files that are posted directly to the web site of the organization that promotes the event.

Thanks for your help Fred.

Originally posted 26 Aug 2002 by Robert Duppstadt rduppstadt@7springs.com
Original Post
Bob:

Nice job on the Neshaminy race results. I just checked them out on MountainBikeRacer.com.

One small note. The reports in most of my professional products, such as TT*Ware and Veloresults, look best if the riders are formatted in the Euro custom - i.e last name in all caps, first name either all lower-case or upper lower.

For example

Good -> Duppstadt Bob

Better-> DUPPSTADT bob

Best-> DUPPSTADT Bob

Unfortunately, race organizers are often unable to deliver the import files in anything other than all-uppercase, i.e. DUPPSTADT BOB, which was probably the case
at Neshaminy.

In the near future I will probably write and publish a shareware program which will automatically change the case on names in a comma-delimited file. I have a program that does this for the ATP and WTA pro tennis databases. It gets tricky because of names like "van de Velde", "McEnroe", and of course the well-known
star Maria Angeles Montolio. Is her last name "Angeles Montolio" or is her first name "Maria Angeles"?

Aaargh!

Originally posted 27 Aug by James Broder
james@skunkware.tv

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.