Skip to main content

Yes, I believe that Kodak informed Omega worldwide that they were going to cease production of the RAR2496 film in early 2001. Subsequently Omega took their last orders for this film around the end of 2002 (presumerably to get rid of stock). I am sure that a lot of places stocked up on the film given that its characteristics were such that if kept in a cool, dry place, it could be stored for a long time. In Australia this move forced a lot of installations to upgrade to electronic photofinish systems, but I believe that there are still a few places still using it.

I understand that Kodak is still making RAR2498 film, which I think is a 400ASA film, is thicker than the RAR2496 film, but has difficulty in picking up the IR spectrum, hence although pictures can be taken using this film, I am not sure as to whether the timing strip will come up under it. Simply put, I think that the easy answer is to upgrade to an electronic camera...

Originally posted 22 Mar 2002 by George Proimos george.proimos@spr.gases.boc.com

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.