Skip to main content

I am researching different timing systems, as I need to purchase one for Dog Agility. I have come across a number of systems (Alge, Tag, Brower), but I am afraid that I do not understand most of the jargon that goes with them. What I am requiring is something that is portable, wireless, and easy to use. It needs to time a dog as if goes over the first jump in a course (like horse show jumping) and stops as it goes over the last jump. Can anyone help me with a simple system?? Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The major thing that we have encountered over the years that matters is the photocell arrangement. ALGE makes the RLS3c which has 3 beams that can be broken by different heights of dogs. The Kinetic Dog group and ESPN Great Outdoor games has had great success with them. As with any tool, the more it gets used the more you should invest in it. Brower and FarmTek are "club" systems. ALGE, Microgate, and Tag systems are what are regarded as Professional.
A major consideration is the precision required in the timing. If even seconds are satisfactory, this can be done manually with a push button. If greater accuracy is required, the aforementioned photo beam concept works well. Once precision has been determined, your options become more focused. Looking through a sampling of old results should help you determine what accuracy is required. Next there is the timer itself, Alge, Tag Heuer, Bower or Summit. I personally would recommend the Summit timer for its' price and performance is unmatched. There is a very capable wireless version so no cabling is required in the setup. Multiple timers can be connected to a single serial port so one computer can manage all timing needs. The last component is the Software that manages the timers and does the scoring. A sreadsheet may work but there may be additional needs, display boards etc. Good Luck
teambart@aol.com

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.