Skip to main content

Hi, i am running the finish lynx camera from the start/finish line across the track and up to the press box. Does anyone know the, (if there is one)the maximum length the cat 5 cable can run beforw some sort of amplification is requirered?. I plan on putting the connection box on the camera pole, then run cat cable, about 200 to 300 feet. I'm working on actual measurement, but need some help with com. limits.

thx

tom
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

i have gone up to 600' (high 500's) no problem. i will usually run an older 10mbs hub at both ends. switches will sometimes "sense" that the line is too long and not push data through even though the connection light is on. switches nowadays are "smarter" than old dumb hubs...
It is very common place in Athletics stadiums where cat 5 runs go over 500'...not sure why they are designed that way given that the spec is 328' but they do....i also try to get them to put fiber in but they always squak at the price.
Follow-up to the press box connections...

I plan to also use a switch at the infield camera C-Box location, then have 1-2 cat5e runs to the press box. I am planning to use one of these runs as an "up-link" to another switch in the press box where PCs/laptops will be connected.

At the C-box switch I also plan to connect display clock, wind gauge, etc.

Question is will the one "up-link" to the press box handle all the data?

Thanks,

Bob
yes. one line will handle all of the data. i do this all of the time (exceeding the distance spec mind you) as well as running a Daktronics display via UDP with a switch up in the PB with computers and a hub at the finish.
If you were to run 2 lines [on the same network] down to the finish make sure that they are only connected to one common hub/switch (not to the same hub in the PB and the same hub at the finish) you will send your network into a frenzy and throw everything off.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.