Skip to main content

Hi everyone,

New to this forum and love the information here!

I have a question regarding a TAG 540 and it's ability to have multiple PCs connected to it. Looks like using ethernet / IP, the device does not support multiple simultaneous connections.

Due to the nature of rs-232 communications, I'm also assuming that it will not support multiple simultaeous serial connections using a splitter?

Can anyone confirm this for me?

We are using this with Split Second timing (latest version).

Thanks in advance!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You should also be able to connect multiple PCs to the same serial connection by splitting the connection. Make sure you are only connecting pins 2 and 5 on one of the PCs so the two PCs don't both try and send data out. The 540 won't know it is sending data to two sources and it can certainly be accepted by multiple PCs. There is plenty of info around here on Pin configurations.
Jenna
Our 540 is working great with Ethernet and serial spliters. Its a great timer that can run a race seperatly or with Splitsecond. Its false signal supression circuits are amazing. FKP had this 540 running 2 laptops prior to new firmware using Ehternet router. It is 1st timer to address the fact that computers don't have serial ports any more. Hope Alge's next Timy has Ethernet out. We are trying to run two couputers off timer A incase we lose one of them. Biggest delay I've witnessed as a TD and Coach is losing computer and having to reload entire race. It has taken longer than if a lift broke.
I had 2 issues recently resolved with 540.
1st was my Ethernet plug to computer was lose and broke.
2nd was when I used a different Ethernet card plug I tried to use the same address I had used befor "51" Even though I had disabled it Ethernet plug address was still assigned to 1st drive and this killed communication with computer. Once I assigned IP address that was different it worked great.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.