Skip to main content

Hi Folks

We have anew Finishlynx system. It uses the EtherLynx Digital Line Scan Camera, Nikon 80-200 lens and radio horn start.
We are struggling with a few things and any assistance would be appreciated.

As dragon boaters we paddle on open water. We are getting significant glare off the dragon boats, the sun is rising behind us and the heads on the boats are shiny, making it difficult to determine the finishing places. Can someone suggest a filter or settings change that might assist. We also need to get the camera higher which should help.

Conversely I am out in my backyard today testing the setup. It is quite overcast and I am struggling to get an image at all. Even looking through the TTL port the image looks dark. Thoughts on this one.

Lastly, how on earth do I get the powered lens bit to work? We have the right lens mount but can't get anything to interact with it so all lens changes throughout the day are manual. This is going to get tricky when the camera is 3.5m off the ground.

Cheers

Joe
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

For the glare, get a polarizing filter on the lens and using the viewer rotate the filter until the glare disappears. Low angles are a problem but switching from a 2m tripod to a 3.5m one will not make much of a difference having a pole longer tends to make it move more in the wind . Timing tower is a solution but from the description needs to be on the opposite side of the course ( might not be possible) after capturing try an enhancement on the bow number of the lead boat. Use the right mouse button to draw a box around the area you want enhanced and chose enhance from the menu that show up. That will change the contrast ratio and with some fiddling will bring the number so it could be read. Capture at the highest pixel setting your camera has has that will make reading easier.
The F ( nikon) lens only works with an auto F stop, zoom and focus is still manual so you are stuck with being up on the ladder during set up . Make sure that you have the serial cable going from the camera back to the lens mount board.
Depending on the lens you have make sure the switch for the iris is set to auto and not manual.
Hi Folks
Thanks for the replies. We will definitely get the polarised filter. We need to have the camera higher so we can see past the closer dragon boats to determine finishing times. We have been thinking how best manage weather conditions as we race in almost everything.
And thanks for the tip on using maximum pixel rate. We had it knocked back a bit to make thinking it wasn't required.
We have a lot to learn.

Cheers

Joe
Hi Gidday
I use a polarized filter, have to fiddle a little to get the images correct, in the morning sun , I shoot from a 10m tower 30m from bank and 20 m from finish line. average 500fps zoom 100 and yes , enhance some images to get results , I change gamma for morning with filter and then reset back to default and remove filter for afternoon when sun is behind.
Best of Luck.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.